The term ‘special educational needs‘ (SEN) refers to children and young people who have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. This could also mean having a physical disability that can prevent some of the school’s educational facilities from being used.

Other examples of special educational needs include young people with hearing or visual impairments, or speech or language difficulties. Autism, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Behaviour, Emotional and Social Difficulties (BESD) and Dyselxia can also fall under SEN

Links you might find useful

Money for disabled students in further education, from The Mix (formerly 

Gov.UK’s disability rights and education section

Gov.UK’s Children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) section

Mencap’s education section

SNAP Cymru’s info for young people

Support for disabled students, from The Mix (formerly

Funding for students with Learning Difficulties and Disabilities, from Careers Wales

Where You Stand – Information for parents, carers, disabled children and adults with learning disabilities in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan.

Some Local Organisations

Disability Wales

Mencap Cymru 

SNAP Cymru 

Innovate Trust’s Quest Supported Employment

Some National Organisations




If you would like more information on this topic or you have questions please call into the INFO Shop or contact us on 01978 295600 / Instant message.  If you leave us a message we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Funding Partners

promo cymru
Young Wrexham : Local services, articles and what's on for you in Wrexham!