This video is a few years old, but it’s still essential viewing if you want to know why taking care of your online safety is important
Here are some tips and helpful links to help you stay safe online:
- Never give out your personal information online
- Do not make online connections on social networking sites such as Facebook and Snapchat if you are unsure who the person is
- Online friends are best kept online, meeting strangers can be very dangerous
- People may not be who they say they are
- Be wary of opening files from people you don’t know, they could contain a virus or unsuitable content
- Be careful about what you write for everyone to see – a quick question to ask yourself before posting online is “would I print this on a t-shirt and walk down the street wearing it?”
- Most social networking websites have privacy settings that you can change to make sure only your friends can see your profile
Thinkuknow has a great section on online safety for 14+.
This PDF from The National Deaf Children’s Society and Childnet covers everything succinctly.
The Hwb on e-Safety has lots of useful organisations, so check that out first – otherwise head to…
If you would like more information on this topic or you have questions please call into the INFO Shop or contact us on 01978 295600 / Instant message. If you leave us a message we will get back to you as soon as we can.