How Do I Vote?

To be able to vote in all types of election, you need to be registered. In Wales, despite having to be 16 or 18 to vote (dependent on the election), you can register to vote from the age of 14. You need to register to vote if you have never registered before, if you’ve recently moved house, or have changed your legal name. You’ll be asked for your National Insurance number, but you can still register if you don’t have one.

You can register to vote here:

Before Election Day (Polling Day) you’ll receive a poll card. Everyone who’s registered to vote in your household will receive their own poll card. Your poll card will arrive in the post to your registered address a few weeks before the day of the election. It will tell you which polling station you have to go to to vote.

If you can’t get to the polling station on Election Day, there are other ways you can vote. You can vote by post or ask someone you trust to vote on your behalf (by proxy). You will have to apply to both a couple of weeks before Election Day.

If you choose to vote in person at the polling station for a UK General Election or a Police and Crime Commissioner Election, you will need to remember to take your photo ID. You can find a list of accepted photo IDs here. Don’t worry if your photo ID is out of date, you can still use it as long as the image still looks like you. If you don’t have a suitable photo ID, you can apply for a free voter ID here, or contact your local council.


  • Election: an election is when a vote is held and the public can vote for candidates.
  • Register to vote: being registered to vote means you are on the Electoral Register and you are allowed to vote in elections that you are eligible for.
  • A National Insurance Number: is used to identify your tax and National Insurance contributions and you will be asked for it when you register to vote. You usually receive this on a letter in the post before your 16th birthday, but if you can’t find the letter, you may be able to find it on any pay slips, P60s or P45s you have received. Don’t worry if you don’t have one, you can still register without it.
  • General Election: A UK Election for Members of Parliament.

Funding Partners

promo cymru
Young Wrexham : Local services, articles and what's on for you in Wrexham!